Fall Break Free Post: The First Time I Shot a Gun

     "Dad, when can I go shooting?" That was the question I remember asking for weeks at a time. My dad had some friends that owned a huge plot of land, and my dad would go there a lot with his friends on the weekends. I knew that they would do things like shooting, but I also knew they just had a lot of fun. So when my dad finally gave me a positive answer, I was astounded.
     It was a Thursday afternoon, and my dad just got off a business call.
"Hey dad, could I go shooting this weekend?"
"Sure." I stare at him, not blinking.
"What?"
"I said sure, you can go shooting this weekend." So we left that next day to go the "shooting range".
     When we got there, I just saw a big, open field. But as my dad pulled farther into the gravel road, I started to see the tops of a shed. A pretty big one too. I wasn't surprised at first, but then I saw the four wheelers, the ammunition, and the guns. There were pistols, rifles, and more. We got out of the car and greeted my dad's friends. After about 30 minutes of talking, my dad grabbed a pistol and brought me to a tree with a target on it.
"Now, look on the side of the gun and there should be the safety. Push it forward." I do as my dad says. "So just aim the gun at the tree and pull the trigger." I aim, but my hands are shaking too much. So I stand there, just trying to keep steady when BOOM. My dad grins and I grin too. That was the first time I shot a gun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research Update

LOTF Response

Interesting Things in LOTF